Wednesday, November 11, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T - what it means to me


Respect
Originally uploaded by Dinastoria

What does the word respect mean to you? I like to think I treat people the way I want to be treated but I know that's not always the case. You see, a lot of times the level of and manner of respect I have for a person is gauged by the way we were introduced, the way said person carries themselves and the way they treat me and others. Normally if I'm introduced to someone by another person who speaks highly of or talks down about them there is a certain expectation I have due to the reputation that has preceded said person. I do take the time to form my own conclusions but if I hear nothing but good things or a slew of negative things it tends to taint my perception even before I meet the person, especially if I value the source of the information.
Regardless of how I meet a person I always watch and observe their actions, mannerisms and assess their character through actions and words; I am an avid people watcher. Those who know me well can tell you that I absolutely detest fake people; I'm a fan of consistency so if you don't like a person or thing don't pretend you do to appease the masses. Just be true to you and if others don't agree and cant take it then to hell with them....but I digress so let me get back on track. Another pet peeve of mine is when people conduct themselves with a holier-than-thou aire about them. I cant stand for a person to talk down to me or others; I could care less what your status is...we are all equal and on the same level in my eyes. A lot of times I either end up telling these type of people about themselves or I limit/end dealings with them because I refuse to be around that kind of energy because it aggravates me to no end.
I'm a big fan of treating people the way I want to be treated. Any respect or courtesy one receives beyond that is earned through conversation and interaction. And it bothers me a great deal when I see those I care about being disrespected, especially when they are generally respectful of the people they are being disrespected by (something happened recently but I wont speak on it to protect the innocent and refrain from blacking out on the guilty). I'm a fan of keeping the peace but my boiling point is just beyond the border of disrespect, no matter how subtle or blatant.
People in general want to be respected....some would rather be feared but I believe respect gets you further in life. I'm just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment