Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Take Advantage of Today Cuz Tomorrow Aint Promised


Mmmm orange life savers...
Originally uploaded by *M-C1*

Last week a close friend had a massive stroke. This is a 32 year old man of average height and weight and from what the Doctors have told his family most people would not have survived this stroke. In talking to my mom about this, we agreed that his lifestyle prob had a lot to do with him surviving. He's in the military so, physically fit, and he's a non-smoker. He does drink (not sure how much) and I'm not familiar with his eating habits so I dont know if these factors worked for or against him.
During the conversation, my mom said something interesting; that certain events are destined to happen in our lives and the impact and manner in which the events(s) take place is determined by the lifestyle we are leading at the time it happens. My mom is a former drug addict and she recounted a story to me of a fall she took when I was approx 5 yrs old. She has a scar on her chin from getting a butterfly bandage at the hospital (not sure why they didnt stitch it up but we are talking 80's medicine in an urban area hospital). When the fall happened, she and I were alone in our apartment. She said she'd gotten up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and she felt dizzy and faint so she tried to get back to the bed but she missed and hit the floor. She'd been clean and sober for a few years when this happened but she told me she believed this is the type of injury she would have sustained in a car accident or some other way; that it was destined to happen. See my mom has expressed to me that she believes I saved her life. Its because she got pregnant with me that she stopped drinking and doing drugs. Doctors told her she would never be able to get pregnant, let alone carry a child to term so she kinda looks at me as her miracle baby. If I had not been here when the fall happened she probably would have been out drinking and drugging and the injury would have been the result of a car crash, a fist fight or some other heinous event.
This belief ties into my quote: "The events of your life are predestined but you still need to take advantage of every opportunity." I do believe that everything that is happens to, for and through us is set before we are even born. I also believe that we have to be ready to receive the lessons and blessings to get the full impact. Sometimes if we arent ready the first time its because we didnt pay attention to the signs that would lead us to the understanding so we have to go through the event again at a later date and time when we are more willing and ready to accept whats being offered. There are times when I dont understand why I'm going through a hardship or other situation but I do know that its all in preparation for something better to come. Its been said that sometimes God takes things away from us to free our hands for something better. We usually dont recognize it at the time but as long as we continue to have faith and be thankful it will all eventually make sense.
Going back to my friend who had the stroke...maybe this is his wake up call to change some things in his life whether it be where he lives, what he does for a living, who he surrounds himself with. But overall I hope his survival has made him more grateful and appreciative of this precious gift called life. At some point or another in our lives we all take the tomorrows and laters for granted. We need to remember that tomorrow is not promised so live each day to the fullest and never have any regrets for the shoulda, woulda, couldas. Find your purpose in life and spread joy and happiness everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment